Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Walk on Water

I went to watch "Son of God" with Shyam today.  There was a part where Jesus Christ was walking on water and he called Simon Peter out to go to Him.  Peter got out of the boat and started walking towards Christ.  But with just a split second of doubt, he started drowning.  I cried knowing how much I have doubted the Lord whenever I face storms.

We all wanted signs, anything that is a physical proof or something beyond normal to call it a proof of God's power.  And our faith, like Peter's, we tend to look elsewhere, let the worries come, let the trouble brew into a storm and fear it rather than putting our faith in God.

I never understood fully why that particular story was so important.  I knew the story and I knew it happened.  But it never touched me until recently.

Oh you of little faith...

My small group has been studying recently the book "The Shelter of God's Promises" by Sheila Walsh.  She talked about our storms in life and how God's plans works for good, and how His grace is sufficient for us.  She explained more about His love having no limits and how we should remain in His love and let our faith in Him continue on despite the on going storm.  Let's face it, it's hard to put our trust to an unseen God.

But when I saw Peter and the disciples, so full of fear, saw our Lord walking on water.  When Jesus Christ called Peter to come, he immediately jumped out of the boat and followed.  And with the flash of lightning and the terrible thunder rumbling against the black clouds, doubt, uncertainty swept in.  And he started drowning.  Does it sound so familiar?  We know God is there, we know that He is in control, He is the God of all creations.  Yet the moment we see the storms, we let doubt come in.  It had hurt seeing my own doubts flashing before me, knowing He is God yet I took my eyes off Him and worry about the storm happening around me.

His death upon the cross showed me how much He loves me.  Me, just another face in the billions of people on this earth, He loves me.  Each and every single one of us.  Our sins have been washed away, cleanse by his blood, by his sufferings.  And the only thing He asked of us is to believe in Him, to put our trust in Him.  To have confidence in His love, leaning heavily on His unending grace.  What a wonderful and amazing God He is.  His power knows no bounds and He has proved us that already.   He has over come death with His resurrection.  How can we doubt his existence?  How can we doubt His power?  How can we have so little faith in our Almighty God?

I pray that from this moment on, we will continue to put our faith in God.  Not let the flash of lightnings distract us, not let the roaring thunders turn us away.  And that when the storm comes and He calls us to come forth, we would jump off the boat, keep our eyes on Him and walk on water too.

No comments:

Post a Comment