Monday, January 9, 2017

When Bells (Bell's) Come Ringing

It was Thursday, like any other day at school. Teaching, getting them ready for exams tomorrow. I’ve been feeling the pain in my neck since the day before and I thought it just might be stiff neck and shrugged it off because I was busy.


But that morning, I couldn’t stand the pain so I took a nap in the clinic, perhaps it will just go away. Towards the afternoon, I felt weird, like my lips can’t smack together and my right eye is so watery, and I thought it was still irritated from the onions. The kitchen next door was chopping so much onions for the stew they were making. I didn’t know it was the start of something bad… I had my make-up trial and then was planning to go sort of the clothes for pictorial. But it was weird, I feel exhausted, when I got home, I took a nap before meeting with my make-up artist.

When Gabo came by that evening, he insisted that I should go to the hospital. I honestly didn’t want to but he said he’s worried that it might be a stroke. What? How can I be having a stroke that has been progressing for the entire afternoon? I felt the left side of my face is drooping. So he texted one of the doctors he knew and told him all of my symptoms. The doctor said, “It might be Bell’s Palsy.”

My initial reactions was like… WHAT?!? What’s Bell’s Palsy?

We went to the hospital and it was confirmed. Thank God it was not stroke. I was prescribed steroids and was sent home. But what are we going to do? The ER didn’t give us instructions on how to deal with it.

I was almost panicking… I have a photoshoot next week and we’re still prepping for Christmas and I have classes going on, I need to catch up on my studies. I don’t know what I’m going to do. Worst part, I can’t control the right side of my face. I started crying because I feel so helpless that I do not have any control of what is happening.

      




Is it permanent? How did it came to be? I’ve read numerous articles about it and there is no direct cause to how I came to have Bell’s Palsy. We did research online but somehow there’s no definite answer.

Why God?

Then I remember my recent complaint on Facebook…





Wow Lord, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry with Your answer.


But here’s the thing, I know that there are reasons why He allowed things to happen.


Whatever that was intended for bad, God meant it for good.


The devil prowls like a lion, it seems as if I was the target. But thankfully, I was reminded of whom I should cling on to.


When Jesus became my Lord and Savior, He did not promise us that we will have a life of prosperity, comfort and abundance in anything of this earth. He told us that we as His disciples should pick up the cross, deny ourselves and follow Him.


I wanted to quit on everything. Stop working for the next month, stop studying (which I took a break from after Pastor Tallo told me to stay on instead of dropping my subjects). I wanted to stop all ministry and not help in anything.


But when bad things happen, it shouldn’t stop us from following Christ. Despite any calamity, any sickness, any trouble we face, it should not hinder us from doing our work. Looking at Paul’s life, he wrote in his letters in 2 Corinthians, how he has been flogged, stoned, on a ship wreck, be in constant danger from others who wants to kill him and so on (2 Corinthians 11:16-33). Yet despite all that, he reminded us, “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast gladly of my weaknesses so that Christ’s power may rest in me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)


Trials should bring us closer to God. Not because we enjoy suffering, but knowing that without God, we will never get through these things. In James, it says “Consider it pure joy my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (James 1:2-4)


I didn’t know at that time what God wanted me to do. I do know that I should not lose faith nor I should be surly and ask God why He made it happen. The fear of my face being deformed was something I should not dwell on. Thankfully, I have recovered from it far quicker than I thought I would. It is indeed quite a miracle.


Bell’s Palsy might just be another series of episode in my life that God will allow to happen. I’m quite sure there’s a lot more to come.









No comments:

Post a Comment