Thursday, September 26, 2019

A Promise of Restoration

Jeremiah 30
Michael Ende Watch
It has been a painful road reading the Book of Jeremiah. Often it would be about how Israel would suffer and how it reflects on my life, suffering. Sometimes it leads me to ask, do bad things happen to me because I am disobedient to the Lord?

So I would skip days, and in days of despair, my husband would point me back towards the Psalms. Faith in God would be restored but short-lived whenever I go back to Jeremiah.

But today's different. As I go through Jeremiah 30, it reminded me of who God is.




I found this watch amongst the things my mother left me after my father passed away. I'm not sure how it came to my family, but I am always fascinated by it. Although it does not work anymore (not sure how I will replace the battery in fear of ruining it), it was a reminder how real God is. This is a commemorative watch designed by Michael Ende (Jewish Silversmith) for the 40th Anniversary of Israel (Declaration of Independence) as a nation. Inscribed on the watch was Genesis 28:13 in Hebrew "So said the Lord: The land you are resting upon, I will give to you and to your descendants."

What made this watch so significant for me is that it was a reminder of a promise that the Lord had fulfilled. Reading Joshua was a record of Israel claiming the land the Lord has given them. Jeremiah shows of the nation being exiled to other nations. Yet the Lord gave them hope. Jeremiah 30:3 said,

"'The days are coming', declares the Lord, 'When I will bring my people Israel and Judah back from captivity and restore them to the land I gave their forefathers to possess.' says the Lord."

It speaks to me of a God who faithful in fulfilling his promises to his people. I am always in awe and wonderful whenever I see this piece. This is a part of history, a proof of God fulfilling his promise to his people.

Has the promise been fulfilled? Yes, but there is still more to come. A time where Israel will have peace.

Which led me to ask, "How are we so much like Israel?"

I struggle with this a lot. At days when I forget that I serve a God who wants me to live a holy life. I am sure that every commandment he has given, I have broken. My anger leads me to forget His grace and mercy. My anxiety leads me to forget that he is a God who provides. My indifference leads me to forget that God is ever present. My hate leads me to forget that God is love. Yet the Lord tells his people,

"The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: 
'I have loved you with an everlasting love; 
I have drawn you with lovingkindness.'" 
Jeremiah 31:3. 

Despite Israel's disobedience, God loved them with an everlasting love. The God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the God whom we serve is faithful in His promises, loving to his people. What an amazing God we have? I sit in utmost wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment