Saturday, February 15, 2014

Climbing God's Mountain

Friends from CBCWLA Baptist Church
 I went on a hike today with friends for church.  I was so excited because I love nature and I have not hiked for a long time.  I have my gear ready, water, snacks and of course even thought of a Psalms to share with the group before our ascent.

We started our climb.  The weather was wonderful.  It’s not too hot nor it’s too cold.  And as we go further, the view was even more magnificent.  But as we climb, I realized I bit more than I can chew.  The trail was steep and the ascent was even getting harder.  I was having a hard time to catch my breath and my legs started to pain.  But we kept on moving, willing myself to go through that trail and wanting to reach the top.
The Mountain at Cobb Estate 
It was my first time hiking a mountain.  I was rather thinking it’s going to be easy.  As harder and harder it gets, it gave me time to reflect.  If I were having a hard time climbing this mountain, how much harder was it for Christ to climb up to the cross?

When Christ came to this earth, he was part God and also part man.  I’m quite sure that God can even easily climb that mountain.  But as Christ was also a man, he can feel hunger, thirst, fatigue and all other physical attributes that restricts our human body.


I was praying to God while I walking.  “God!  Please help me get through this hike!” My breathing was getting shorter and my legs are starting to cramp.  I seriously felt I just want to sit on the ledge and be content with the view.  The scene from the Passion of the Christ keeps on replaying on my head.  Christ carrying the cross, bring it to calvary and knowing when he reaches the top, it will be his death. He’s bleeding, he was beaten, wounds and torn flesh all over his body.  His head with a crown of thorns piercing his skull.  The cross, heavy, placed upon his shoulder, the weight pushing him down, knowing it’s where they will nail him to.  Not to mention the people he loved, His chosen ones, were mocking, jeering, scorning him.  And the journey from where he was jailed to the place he was crucified, the climb, the sand, the rocks, I am quite sure that that Christ didn’t even have hiking boots at that time.

The Trail
With this in mind, I kept on pushing.  David was kind enough to stick with me far behind the group.  The trail was getting steeper and harder.   I felt my legs starting to cramp and I wanted to just give up.  My resolve was dissolving quickly.  I can’t do it!  I finally surrendered to the pain.  Cramps was shooting from my toes to my knees.  I can’t walk anymore.  I can’t climb anymore.  I asked David, "Why do we climb?  What is the purpose?"  You know that saying that "We need to climb mountains to get to the view" has never rang truer than ever.  We go through hardship in order to gain success.  We tend to want to prove ourselves that we are good.  That we can achieve things on our own.  Beat out every obstacle to win the prize.  Do good works to atone our sins.  Find ways to live life and make our own righteousness.  That we can climb God's mountain without His help.  I know that I can’t.

This hike might have been one of the hardest climb I’ve ever done.  My regret that I didn’t get to see the view from the top.  I think God was telling me, "It’s okay, you don’t need to climb to the top.  I already did it for you.  You don’t have to prove yourself to me.  The view from where you are now is still great.”  

The View from the Mountain
The lessons I’ve learn climbing that mountain was far more precious than ever.  We are blessed, we are truly blessed despite being so undeserving.  God loved us so much that He gave His Son to die for our sins.  Not just any death, but taking the punishment, the blood, the suffering he endured and finally climbing up that mountain to be nailed to the cross. What an amazing God.  What an amazing love He has for us.  We don’t have to do anything.  We don’t have to suffer the same way as He did.  We don't have to climb calvary.  He already took us there and gave us the view.  

      1. Old Rugged Cross

      1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,

      1. The emblem of suff’ring and shame;

      1. And I love that old cross where the dearest and best

      1. For a world of lost sinners was slain.

          • Refrain:
        So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,

          • Till my trophies at last I lay down;

          • I will cling to the old rugged cross,

          • And exchange it some day for a crown.

      1. Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,

      1. Has a wondrous attraction for me;

      1. For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above

      1. To bear it to dark Calvary.

      1. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,

      1. A wondrous beauty I see,

      1. For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,

      1. To pardon and sanctify me.

      1. To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;

      1. Its shame and reproach gladly bear;

      1. Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,

      1. Where His glory forever I’ll share.



No comments:

Post a Comment